Kayak and Camp: A Report of 10,000 Mosquitos

I’ve decided to start writing about my notable outdoor excursions on this blog, and posting some of my (and my girlfriend’s) photography work when we bring our camera along!

This past weekend we camped at St. George Island, and ended up combining both my first “beach camping” experience and maiden voyage of our inflatable kayak. I can’t say whether or not this was a smart decision in retrospect, but we made it there and back without any issues (aside from a lot of bug bites, but more on that later).

The morning of, we packed all of our belongings into dry bags, stocked up on about 3L of water, and headed for the coast armed the holy trinity of kombucha, smoothies, and goldfish. Upon arrival, we checked in at the ranger station, chatted for a moment, and then made our way to the boat ramp. After getting the kayak inflated (which I had done previously!) we loaded up the gear and moved for the water.

The K2 Explorer Kayak all packed up! Photo by Emma Moody

Unfortunately, we forgot to attach the small plastic fin for the bottom, which later ended up with us spinning side-to-side, compensating from wind blowing across the channel. However, after what felt like a couple of go-arounds on the teacups at Disney, we finally pulled ashore on the other side of the channel. Fortunately for us, our campsite was right on the beach, so we didn’t have to take our gear much further. We got the tent set up, our bedrolls unfurled, and put on our swimsuits for a nice refreshing dip in the ocean!

The beach-line at our campsite. Photo by Emma Moody

However, as we lay in the lukewarm water of the channel, we suddenly realized: we weren’t alone. Amidst our hurried efforts to quickly dive in, we hadn’t noticed a sizable amount of Florida’s “biting flies” skimming the water around us. They are slightly larger than a house fly, and somehow find a way to be even more annoying than those. As we tried to share a peaceful swim, we suddenly found ourselves playing whack-a-mole underwater: and we were the moles! However, they eventually left us alone, and we dried off and started to make dinner.

Luckily enough, a fellow camper had stowed some bug spray, and was gracious enough to let us use it, so dinner went off without a hitch (although mosquitos and no-see-ums still managed to get us). However, after a nice meal of rice and Indian bombay potatoes, we settled into the tent as the sun set for a humid but windy evening.

The sunset from my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2

The wind reached about 20mph at some times of the night, with some short but heavy rain as well. The tent held well enough, and we awoke in the morning somewhat well-rested. After an early morning call to kayak back ASAP (as rain was eminent), we made it back to the other side (with the rudder this time!) and headed to Apalachicola for a cup of coffee. We will have to try this again in winter when the bugs aren’t out, but an amazing view and campsite nonetheless!

Driftwood in front of our campsite. Photo by Emma Moody
The view from our campsite! Photo by Emma Moody

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.